Sunday, August 16, 2009

Prayers for the Boy

My sweet Ise is having a rather difficult time. My heart aches for him because I really have no idea how hard this must be for a five year old. Plain and simple, he wants his daddy. A few weeks ago, he got so angry about something and when I tried to help him work it out he blurted out, "your not a man, you will never understand." At that moment, I felt totally helpless and inadequate. The boy is right, I am not a man and I don't understand how hard this must be to a kid.

I am working really hard to find Ise outlets and avenues for his anger. Lately his anger has been getting the best of him...it is mostly his mouth, but still totally unacceptable! He is also full of anxiety. He gets all worked up about everything now. Plus, to compound the issue, he really doesn't like to open up and talk about his feelings. His famous words are, "I don't want to talk about it." The poor little guy, it is like the weight of the world is on his shoulders! I am hoping that once kindergarten starts up, he will get settled into a routine and find some comfort in that. We are also going to register him for hockey this year, he is very excited about that! Hopefully he will be able to pour all his frustrations out on the rink...or at least come home so dang tired there isn't any time for anger issues, ha!

It has gotten a little hairy around here to say the least. After much prayer and consideration, I decided to skip the mission trip this November. I really can't leave Ise for a week when he is already under so much stress about his dad being gone. I talked it over with the coordinator for the trip, who was Ise's preschool teacher last year, and a veteran Army wife, and she agreed that in the best interest of Ise, I should probably sit this one out. Like my gal pal in Sunday school said, you don't have to go to Honduras to be on a mission! I feel confident in this decision and know that God is at work and will lead me to where I need to be and when! My main focus right now is helping Ise manage his feelings and emotions so that the next nine months can go as swimmingly as possible!

4 comments:

AGoodKindOfCrazy said...

Ah, I am so sorry he's having such a hard time.

And I keep getting told by girls at church that sometimes our ministry has to be our family.... I think we are all kinda in that boat right now. I have no doubt that you'll go on another one.. when the timing is right.

Will be praying that Ise comes through this rough patch quickly. Love ya!

The Hangar said...

Keep your head up hun. XOXO

The Hangar said...

You are always welcome to bring him by and he can spend some "boy" time with Brandon. Let me know. We can do some one on one things like have them go to the movies or something. Maybe that will help him. Brandon can be his "big brother" and we can see how that goes. Please let me know. I am so willing to do whatever you need hun.

Nana said...

As a seasoned military wife myself I can assure you that talking to your children about their feelings and keeping the bravest face on that you can....goes a long way. You are doing a good job and do continue to keep a positive and loving attitude. Love you, Mom