Thursday, April 25, 2013

Grandma's Meatballs!

          Early on in our marriage, Luke's mom gifted me her recipe for her fabulous spaghetti and meatballs. I am usually not a fan of meatballs but these are not regular old ordinary meatballs.  These are tiny, little balls of awesomeness that are so delicious its hard to stop eating them once you start. In fact, they are so yummy that half of them are already gone by the time I transfer them from the pan to the spaghetti pot. They are so delicious! I haven't made them in a really long time and suddenly had the urge to make them last night. I am so glad I did, because they were a big hit with the entire family! Plus, both kiddos helped me make them which made them even more special!

Isaac was in charge of reading the recipe

          Delainey was super excited to help me but she was adamant that she would not be touching the gooey, sticky mess that would become glorious balls of meat! She was also pretty confident that she did not even like meatballs! Ha, I told her she probably did hate them and that it was OK because after her daddy got home there probably wouldn't be enough for her to eat anyways! (The kid is a total sucker for reverse psychology!)

She would only touch the dry ingredients
 
          Isaac was more than happy to help roll the meatballs. He doesn't have much Italian blood flowing through him but he has enough to make him a natural at rolling meatballs. Plus, if you ask the child what he wants to eat, every single time he will respond with spaghetti. His head just about exploded when I told him we were making meatballs this time too.
 
 
          He had no issues whatsoever with getting his hands messy and helped me roll quite a few of them.
 
 
And just like magic, these turned into...
 
 
these beauties! Yum-O

Grandma's meatballs in the griddle she gave me as a wedding gift almost 12 years ago!

         We made quite a few so we ate a few right off the griddle, a couple handfuls went into the sauce and the rest went into the freezers so we can make meatball hoagies some time very soon!
 
Isaac showing off his and my handiwork!

          After seeing the finished product, Little Miss asked if she could just try one. I told her they were awful and she would hate them but she insisted that she wouldn't. She was sold after her first bite! I love when I make a meal that the whole family enjoys! Plus, the biggest compliment came from Luke when he said, these are pretty darn close to how my mom makes them. Its always hard making them as delicious as the originals but it was still nice to hear since my husband has been raving about his mom's meatballs for the past 12 years!

 
           Delainey was a fan! Her exact words, "I don't like Grandma's meat balls, I love them!" I would have gotten Isaac's opinion on them but he couldn't stop eating long enough to talk about them! 



 

No comments: