Wednesday, January 01, 2014

2013 Reflections!

Attempting to sum up 2013 in one blog post...


1. What did you do in 2013 that you have never done before?
Packed up all our worldly possessions, kissed our families goodbye and moved half way across the world to a completely foreign country. Living abroad in South Korea was never on my bucket list of life but it has been such an adventure that I feel our family is blessed to have been granted the opportunity to have!

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make more for 2014?
I don't usually make resolutions, but I did make a conscious decision to live each day like it was a gift and to make the most out of every adventure to the best of my ability. The phrase I repeated over and over and over again this year was, "it's all just part of the adventure!"

3. Did anyone close to you give birth in 2013?
YES! My brother and sister-in-law gave birth to their first child, Olivia this past July! I haven't gotten to meet her yet, but I can tell from her pictures that she is amazing!


4. What countries did you visit this year?
Besides coming to South Korea, we also visited Thailand this past summer for ten days. It was an amazing trip full of swimming, beach lounging, snorkeling and sightseeing! The entire family has a blast and we made some amazing memories together. Delainey loved it so much, she wants to move there next! I also got to step inside North Korea for a few moments when the husband and I took my dad on an adventure to the DMZ.

5. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
A church family. We really haven't put the time and effort into this area that we should. I take full responsibility for this and know in my heart that half of my life issues wouldn't be issues at all if I was faithfully walking with the Lord instead of kicking and screaming and trying to do things my way!

6. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Sept 30, 2013. The day Luke seriously injured himself while mountain biking. I will never forget the sounds that he made or the look of pain I saw on his face. Walking into the emergency room thinking your husband had broken a few ribs only to find out in broken English that he had in fact broken his back has a way of knocking all breathe out of your lungs. Walking hand and hand with Luke through that whole experience has brought us closer together and has damaged us in other ways that will take time to heal from. I thank the Lord everyday for allowing us to have more time together and I pray he continues to lead us in the right direction, together.

7. What was your biggest struggle in 2013?
My temper.

8. What was the best decision you made this year?
Homeschooling Isaac. We have been having so much fun together and I love getting to spend time with him. It recently dawned on me how quickly he is growing up and how quickly the time we have to raise him is passing us by. He is such an incredible kid and I am blessed to be able to guide him and teach him in the ways that he needs. One bright side to Luke being home due to his injury is that he also is able to spend lots of quality time with Isaac and has been teaching him all sorts of brilliant information such as money management, homestead living and whatever else Luke finds noteworthy to mention!

9. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My children! They are rock stars and just roll with the punches. When Luke broke his back and was hospitalized for a month, the children stayed with my parents and did fantastic. They were behaved, they stay on schedule, went to school, went to bed, minded their manners (mostly) and hardly even noticed we were gone! Praise the Lord for fabulous parents and incredible kids who can just roll with it, no matter what the circumstances.

10. Whose behavior disappointed you?
My own! I wish I could report that I have been the kind, patient, caring wife but that hasn't always been the case. I seem to go from loving and kind to maniac and bitchy in a matter of moments. I whine, I cry, I complain and I feel like running away and sadly that is only the first fifteen minutes of the day. Lord have mercy, I am struggling some days and quite content and capable on others! I desperately want my life back to what use to be our normal. Here is hoping 2014 brings us back some sort of normalcy!

11. Where did most of your money go?
Groceries...everything is so expensive here!

12. What did you get really really excited about this year?

My  parents visit! We were all very, very, very happy to see them and show them South Korea!

13. What song will always remind you of 2013?
Gangnam Style unfortunately! It came out right after we got orders to Korea. Watching the video all I could think was, what the heck are we getting ourselves into! Now having lived here for a year, I can totally see the humor in the video, plus the kids love dancing to the song!

14. Compared to this time last year, are you: much happier, much nicer or richer?
I am stronger! I started Cross Fit this past year and absolutely love it. I don't get to run nearly as much as I would like to here, the post isn't runner friendly and half the year everything is covered in snow but Cross Fit makes me happy. I love walking into the gym, seeing the board and thinking no way and then making it happen! It seems dumb to say, but I find I crave these work outs!

15. What do you wish you had done more of?
Took more family adventures. I wish we had done more exploring and taken more trips as a family. I thought we were doing ok with this but now that Luke is injured and we can't do much and might not get the chance to again before we leave, I really, really wish we had done more!

16. What do you wish you had done less of?
Facebook! Ugh...so annoying. It is really the best way of keeping in contact with friends and family from all over but it is such a trap! I find I will sit down to check it real fast and boom, an hour has gone by! I vow to make Facebook less of a priority in my life in 2014.

17. What was your favorite TV Program in 2013?
Hmm, this year I got into Scandal, Revenge and Big Bang Theory. After Luke had his surgery, we spent countless hours watching nine seasons of The Big Bang Theory. It was a gift because it was the first time I heard him laugh in weeks and we would lay in the hospital bed together, holding hands and snuggling as best we could to watch that show together.

18. What was the best book you read this year?

As sad as it sounds, I can't even recall reading a book this year. I know I must have read something but for the life of me, I can't remember any of them!

19. What did you want and get?
Luke surprised us all with a 60 inch flat screen for Christmas. I can't say it was something I was really wanting but now that we have it, I am glad he bought it!

20. What was the best movie you saw this year?
The only movie I can recall seeing at this moment was Frozen. It was really cute and had a great message. The kids loved it and it was the first movie Asher sat all the way through so I would vote that one as my favorite!

21. What did you do on your birthday and how old did you turn?

This year I turned 32. The kids made me a cake and we had a family supper here at the house. It was a nice day spent with the ones I love the most!

22. What one thing would have made your year more satisfying?
I do believe that 2013 was a great year for us! The only thing I would said that I would change would be Luke breaking his back. I wish I could take that back and make it so it never happened.

23. What kept you sane this year? 
Cross Fit!

24. Who did you miss this past year?
My family. I wish more of them could come visit us here!

25. Who were the best new people you met this year?
I have met so many amazing ladies here at Camp Humphreys! Thankfully, the Lord always places the right person in my life at the right time for the right reasons. I am always amazed at how everytime we move, I leave behind the most amazing people. But then,  I meet more amazing people and now I know lots of amazing people all over the world! This military life for all its hassles and aggravations, truly is the best life and has many perks.

26. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned this year:
Despite all your best efforts, life doesn't go according to your plan. We have no control over what happens, but the Lord has a plan and if we trust his plan, it all works out in His time!

No comments: